Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it Common?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

Hi,
Is it common for us with BPD to speak or write something from emotion without thinking of the fall out. I have gotten in so much hot water quickly sending emails and or speaking without thinking!!!!!
Let me know. Sometimes I feel like I try to sabotage myself behind my back.
Mike

Post subject: Re: Is it Common?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Wow! Mike, I used to get my foot stuck in my mouth frequently. It can be difficult but you need to just take some time to think about how the emotions that you may have in the moment will affect you and others in the long run. I think when we're angry, it is especially difficult to think before we speak....we let our emotions override our ability for any intellectual assessment of the situation.

dagwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 am 

MickBur wrote:
Is it common for us with BPD to speak or write something from emotion without thinking of the fall out. I have gotten in so much hot water quickly sending emails and or speaking without thinking!!!!!
Let me know.

MikeBur,

Yes, definitely. It does appear common for us with BPD to do this, and especially when are illness is very "stirred up" (like with fear, anger, emotional stress) and symptoms are operating in "full swing". (raising "hand in agreement" here!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:42 pm 

Oh my goodness! Yes! I do of when im angry at someone or a business, I just go off in an email and hit send! Later I think hmmmm. I could have just not sent that but what can I do. Just have to keep aware or stay off my email!!!!;

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 pm 

Haha.....I am pretty good at getting what I want over the phone, I'm persistent and they just give in to get dis of me:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 am 

Yes me too! I cannot help myself. I tend to see the wrongs of literally everything and try to put the world right - i should be a politician, although i cannot lie ;) I think people cannot deal with me pointing out their flaws, but although I have valid argument some of the ways I go about things are very extreme.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:27 pm 

I totally do this! having major probs with it at the moment. Iv never been like this before this year. I react and snap at people and get angry+upset at the slightest thing, and i have sent impulsive emails, and got myself in a lot of trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:20 am 

I've found myself doing this lately as well. Thankfully, we Icelandic people are VERY sarcastic in our communications(I have to be careful when I'm talking to people online, I've noticed most don't tolerate our levels of sarcasm too well).. so people don't take it too seriously most of the time. But I did hurt my step-dads feelings a lot some months ago.

Maybe it's just that I'm more aware of how I behave though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:38 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Well...I think sarcasm is something that should be used rather sparingly...we do need to be careful when, how and with whom we use it.

dagwood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:26 pm 

I've done this several times. I often say things without thinking them through first and have learned to wait a few days before I send emails where I'm discussing anything important. It can be frustrating and hard to remember to take the time to think things through before you speak.

It does get easier in time, hang in there!