Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: The Radical Acceptance of Everything
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:07 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Ash wrote:
I don't think that using radical acceptance to embrace further negative self-talk is really the goal or purpose of radical acceptance.

From this book review, we learn that "Radical acceptance enables us to see more clearly and to learn how to hold our experiences with compassion."

Carl Rogers wrote:
"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change."

Quote:
People often misunderstand "acceptance" in a meditative context. It doesn't mean passive resignation. What radical acceptance means is acknowledging the way things are is the way they are. You don't have to like it, but you're not in denial about it. It means not running from any part of the experience. You open to it, bringing awareness to your pain or whatever is in front of you. - John Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.

Quote:
The radical acceptance of everything brings a new possibility of trust, a feeling of greater wholeness. We are no longer guardians of the gate, watching to allow in some experiences and exclude others. Instead, we are holders of the open space that includes whatever wants to come. We are not afraid of what comes. We know that there are no enemies in the inner world. The spirit is one of inclusion, not exclusion. The attitude is one of welcome. -
Ann Weiser Cornell

The above quotes are basic definitions of radical acceptance. It seems simple enough, but it is a very difficult concept to grasp. Links that will lead you to more information on radical acceptance can be found in the Mental Health Resources - Acceptance section.

As links and resources are offered in this thread/forum, they will be added to the BPDR Web Links section for reference to all website visitors (beyond just forum members.)

You may also add your own links directly to the Web Links area!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]