Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Accept That.......
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I accept that I will always get depressed from time to time.

I accept that my T cannot "fix it" for me.

I accept that I have to take steps to get through the depression. I can't wait for it to go away on it's own.

I accept that it will not always be that way - that the depression WILL eventually go away.

I accept that being depressed does not mean that I have a weak character. It does not mean that I am a bad person.

I accept that how I get through the depression is more important than why I got depressed in the first place.

I accept that my T DOES understand why I feel the way I do. I do not have to take a bottle of pills to prove to him how bad I am feeling.

I accept that I have to say the above things over and over to myself until it sinks in my head.

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:43 am 

Bordergirl those are awesome things to say! And they are ALL TRUE. Keep saying them, the power of repeating things, even if at first you do not believe them at all, is very potent. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I don't know why I didn't realize this before. It's like I needed someone to hit me over the head! I used to talk into my T's office and believe he could actually DO something and I would be "cured." What a joke that is! Of course he can't do that! I thought that for over 40 years now! So I have to change my whole course of thinking and doing. On the one hand, it's sort of a relief, on the other it's kind of depressing. But I'm doing what I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:37 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

But now YOU get to be responsible for your life. Scary? yes. But exciting too. Now BG gets to decide how to make herself happy, not depend on T or H or us, or anyone on how to act and how to get healthier. You don't have to wait until a T appointment to decide something. You don't have to wait for an e-mail back from T on how to respond to a situation. Using the tools, you can decide the best course of action. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I'm happy for you.

Post subject: Re: I Accept That.......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:54 pm 

Bordergirl wrote:
I accept that being depressed does not mean that I have a weak character.

Bordergirl, this - and anxiety/panic attacks - are tough for me to believe about myself. (Is it an 'era' thang?)

I think all these revelations you've acknowledged are remarkable. And I think that this is really big that you have.

Good on you!
~ jr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:13 am 
Community Member
Community Member

It was like being hit on the head with a brick. I hate to think I'm alone in this - I still have my T. But I see what is reality now. I think by working on the DBT skills I may have a chance to help myself get through the difficult times when I'm alone in the house and have no one there. I can do it alone. At least I have some tools to work with. I never had that before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 am 
Community Member
Community Member

jr - when I get depressed I sit at home and obsess about what a "bad" person I am. That I'm not worth anything. I don't know if that's what depression does to you - maybe it is. It's sort of a vicious cycle - a Catch-22. So I have to give myself permission to go on. When my T said I need to decide how to deal with the depression and not worry WHY I'm depressed, that sort of gave me hope. I can spend the next 20 years wondering WHY I'm depressed. Sometimes there is no reason - it just is. for me, it's a biochemical thing. So I'm wasting my time. So he said it's better to go forward and ask myself "how did I get through this difficult time - what did I do?" instead of spinning my wheels. I hope I can do that next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:58 am 

Great work BG. Go back to sleep.