Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: accepting me
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:48 pm 

hi everyone -- i was surprised by my bpd diagnosis earlier this month. it's funny that i thought i was in the hospital for major depression. when i was in there, a girl with bipolar told me she couldn't figure out why i was there because i seemed normal. then my psych spoke to my friend, telling her in private that he didn't think what i was suffering from was depression...since i got home from the hospital i've been reading up on bpd, preoccupied with getting better, or the thought of getting better...

firstly, i accept that i have borderline personality disorder. it's difficult for me to wrap my head around. for me it's easier to say i have a problem when the problem is a emotional state of being, like depression or mania. my thinking was that my borderline personality meant i was inherently flawed, because after all, maybe as a defense mechanism, i thought i was defining myself by my thoughts and not my emotions

i accept that my thoughts and emotions are intertwined.

i accept that my borderline personality hasn't let me see the full picture even when it stares me in the face, that this has caused so many misunderstandings and ill-feelings in my life.
i accept that the anger and loneliness i've felt so often is a result of my perception and not truth.
i accept that i've made a lot of unhealthy decisions that were harmful to ME AND NOT ONLY my family and friends.
i accept that my mistakes were in the past and my life depends on facing the consequences of those mistakes with self-confidence.
i accept that my physical well-being is important.
i accept that i have great qualities in spite of bpd and recovery does not mean i will lose them.
i accept that recovery is by no means scary like the things i've put myself/family/friends through and my fear of being happy is what will interfere with me recovering.
i accept that i want to be happy for myself.

Post subject: Re: accepting me
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:23 am 

That's great work, especially for someone so new to the diagnosis. I like your attitude!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:02 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Welcome to BPDR, detonations! :) Like Ann said, that's some great work. You should be proud.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:19 pm 

hello detonations.
nice work you´ve done!
i have already copied the "accept list" to use as a guideline. it surely will help me.
hope you really feel what you have written, yes, we can be happy ;-)