Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I still have BPD!!!!????? WTF????
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 am 

I think that I have had a huge problem in accepting that I still have BPD. yesterday I went over the DSM and was greatly shocked when I realised that I fit into almost all of them still :( I thought that I was almost over this whole BPD thing but obviously I am not....not happy about it...not at all...trying to accept it though...hmmm...

Post subject: Re: I still have BPD!!!!????? WTF????
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:22 am 

hey, orankey ~

The thing about the stated criteria for BPD in the DSM is that just about all the things listed are experienced by people who don't have BPD, but not nearly as frequently and much less intensely. To be dx'ed by a clinician, at least 5 out of the 9 criteria must be chronic and prevalent over a course of time - like years.

The thing about BPD and other 'personality disorders' is that - since its symptoms, and manifestations of them, take a while to evolve - it takes a while to learn how to manage them and then practice implementing better thought patterns in order to live better.

Don't freak... instead, talk to your pDoc about your fears and expectations, ok?

~ jr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 am 

I agree with jr, most people have one or the other of the offical signs and symptoms of BPD. It is just not a cluster of pain and problem causing behaviors and thought processes. It bothers me a bit though when people state that they "were" something, whether it is addicted to something or suffering from any kind of disorder. I believe that all of the above are with us for life and that the only term is being in recovery, meaning we have changed and are actively working our personal program to stay there, hopefully for the rest of our lives. And I also think that we can have certain triggers that tempt us to step back onto familiar ground. So maybe you can figure out what brought the situation on and how you could have dealt with it differently. I don't think it is easy to just be reborn as a person without BPD and old habits die hard. Maybe you can take this experience as a reminder that the work never stops? Just a thought..... :skritch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:33 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

agrees with jr and dramaqueen*