Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PMS and BPD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 am 

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but here goes anyway. Are you affected severely by PMS?

My PMS is almost intolerable. I say almost because I'm still here so it must be tolerable but just barely. My irritability is off the charts. I feel as if the best thing I can do during that time is to stay away from people lest I freak out on them. How does everyone on here feel about self imposed isolation as a coping mechanism?

Post subject: Re: PMS and BPD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm 
Well, I have PMDD. So that would be a rousing "YES!!!"

And because of that, my pdoc was just near insistent on meds(groan, hiss, boo), which I grudgingly said ok to. And now I'm even taking anti-anxiety meds(I had this awful medication fear issue before). So now, yes, I still get moody although it's much more tolerable.

I don't think self-imposed isolation is a good way of dealing at all, if you ask me. I mean, I see nothing inherently wrong with locking yourself up in the room for a few hours and eating salty popcorn and chocolates, away from everything. But to be utterly avoidant? No. That's not a solution.

I do urge you to speak to your GP and pdoc about your severe PMS, it could be indicative of something else, like PMDD or a hormonal imbalance. Are you on any medications right now?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

You might want to consider taking evening primrose oil tablets... Talk to you GP about it and see what he / she says about it...

This could be due to hormonal imbalance... You don't have to suffer, you know...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am 

I am reasonably sure that I have PMDD as well. I have endometriosis. I had a surgery where they removed 8lbs of scar tissue from me. I had a scar baby! I am on xanax and percocet. The pain from my endometriosis can be quite intense at times. It feels like being stabbed.

When I get into a cycle of severe mood swings like the one I am in now I don't know what else to do. I am so easily triggered that I even begin to get slightly agoraphobic if I get worked up enough. I don't want to freak out on somebody. I am afraid of my anger because it is so intense. I am very afraid that I will land myself in jail or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 am 
Endo is so painful, I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with that.

Renee, women with endo are prone to more severe PMS than one without, typically because of hormonal imbalance. It's super, super common. In fact, the symptoms of PMDD and Endo are very parallel.

I would definitely talk to your doctors about this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 am 

I have talked to my GP and he is an awesome guy... very understanding, never invalidating. I need to find a new GYN. I am having a bit of trouble with that. My old one was so jolly and sweet and she has just disappeared off of the face of the earth. I really want a partial hysterectomy as I have no intention of having children. I am 38.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:33 am 

Wow, this is interesting, and I'm so glad I found you all.

I have BPD but am considered to be "recovered", in that I managed to recognize my symptoms and develop coping mechanisms that became habits, so that I no longer meet the criteria of the DSM-IV's list. But as aware as I am of the way my mind works and the difficulties I am still working day by day (even sometimes subconsciously) to overcome, I have such a hard time when I am premenstrual. In fact, that's how I know my period is coming; I become more paranoid, insecure, weepy and irritable, and I have to "catch" myself and say, hey waaaait a second here!

I get so concerned that I am backsliding back into BPD and have to really force myself not to make any major - or even minor lol - decisions during this time. Last night at work I wanted to just run away. I thought I should remove myself from everyone, just so I don't do any damage to my relationships. So that sent me here, searching for ways to cope with the hormones of PMS when you have BPD. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not on any medications but wouldn't be averse to taking something at that time of the month if it would help. I'm in my late 30s, so I am afraid it could only get worse.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:04 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

magdalens
why don't you talk to a doctor about your problem? Coz I think hormonal imbalances can easily be addressed with supplements, hormone pills, stuff like that...

INstead of cracking your head trying to find a solution and worrying about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 am 

I found that treating myself with extra TLC during that time is helpful. I used to wish that others would treat me better and be more sensitive and then I realized that I could do it myself. I have also started doing positive affirmations in regard to being a woman and being okay with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 am 

Before I was diagnosed I believed that my problems were entirely hormonal in nature, like a severe form of PMS. Meds helped a great deal after BP diagnosis, but my mood swings did not completely abate until an early menopause in my 40s from ovarian cysts. It didn't help that I was misdiagnosed for many years, which I hear is very common. You have my sympathy. Menopause was the best thing that ever happened to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Renee,

I had such a problem in my 20's, I went to a gyn who gave me some hormones, and they worked like a dream. My pms symtoms were discernably different from the bpd symtoms. However; my bpd symtoms were exacerbated 10 times by the pms, so for me it was the best trip to a gynocologist I ever made. When I hit menopause things were evened out quite a bit, as by that time I also understood bpd better.

I hope you can find a solution soon.

Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:34 am 

magdalens wrote:

I have BPD but am considered to be "recovered", in that I managed to recognize my symptoms and develop coping mechanisms that became habits, so that I no longer meet the criteria of the DSM-IV's list. ...

So that sent me here, searching for ways to cope with the hormones of PMS when you have BPD. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

Magdalens, congratulations on your recovery!!!! Curious to hear what helped you the most, if you are up for sharing.

I tend to be more naturally oriented with health care. There are natural practitioners who treat PMS and PMDD with supplements and diet changes. Can you google search your area for Naturopathic physicians as a start? A lot of MD's now are practicing integrative health care (western meds plus more natural approaches). I've heard that accupuncture is supposed to be really effective for these conditions too. One physician I know believes that systemic candida yeast infections (as in whole body infections - not just a female issue) are the cause or exacerbating factor of many conditions including these.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:25 pm 

It was so good to read this thread. Honestly I can fully understand how people can get off from a murder charge at that time of the month..... (just joking).... I am terrible and it is getting worse as I get older.
I bit the heads off people adn then I just cry and cry. I hate me with a passion in those days (more so than other days) and everyone around me.

My GP refused to do hormones, said I was too young...!!!!! I am 40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 am 

Before you do any more damage to your relationships you owe it to yourself to get a diagnosis and treatment. I needed to do a whole lot of damage control between 17 and menopause. It saddens me to think about it now because most people don't care why you're mean, they just know you are...isn't fair I know.