Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Boss & work
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:51 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Location: Reality ~ It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there!
I am so glad that you got the new job and that your old job will soon be history. It sounds like your working hours are going to be so much more pleasant and that will probably have a positive outcome on your mental health as well. You know that your (almost) former boss is a jerk and that you are doing what is best by getting away from him so tolerating him for one last shift while keeping your personal integrity will demonstrate that his problems are not yours to own. The improved working conditions and the pay raise are worth putting up with the crap while you leave your old job to take this new job no matter how bitter he is about you leaving. I imagine that those employees who are continuing to work for him would leave if they had the chance and they are jealous that you got out before them. Once you cross this bridge, you won't have to look back.

Post subject: Oh what a night...............
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:38 am 

This is just a rant of sorts, and then I can put it all behind me.

MY last night in my old job. Early into the shift, the delivery company decided to deliver a new drinks fridge. They dumped it inside the doorway and left. We asked if they could help to remove the old one. NO. So, as duty manager I stayed at checkout and let my assistants sort it. They unloaded the broken drinks fridge into 6 trolleys and put them out back of the shop. There were drinks everywhere! They tried to move the fridge out back - too tall. So one co-worker went to borrow a trolley. We get it out the front door and the young male worker wheels it to the back of the shop. In the meantime, I am serving customers and a man from 2 shops up comes in and tells me: "The two boys that were wheeling the fridge were hanging around the drinks trolleys out the back and one took some." Then comes back in 5 minutes later and says "I nabbed him. He had 2 bottles of wine. The police are coming to see you."

Seems the young boy (15) that I work with got assistance from a friend to move the fridge and paid him (another 15 year old) with 2 bottles of wine out of the stock room. He admitted it, immediately. SO the cop arrests him and takes him away. In the meantime the place is a mess with drinks everywhere, a half assembled fridge, the milk fridge is empty and there is a ton of stuff to do and only an hour to do it.

My other co-worker sold booze to a young lady without asking for ID. AFter the sale was completed she then decides to ask me. I ask for ID, she has none, so I refuse the sale and give her a refund. Can't risk losing my duty managers cert the last day on the job. Close call. That on top of at least 4 other attempts by young people with no ID to buy booze. (Paranoia has gotten the better of me and I suspect that my now ex-boss has set this up, to try to get me busted - There is a $10,000 fine and loss of licence for me, if this occurs.)

I ring the boss to tell him about D (the young boy) and his antics and he asks me "What about your duty managers certificate?" I say "What about it?" He says "you owe me. It was a waste of money for me, for only 2 months." He then suggests that he pay for the course that I had to do ($250) and I pay for the council paperwork (the general managers cert) which cost $135 and he'd take it out of my final pay. By this point I was so flustered by all the antics of the evening, I didn't argue with him and just said "whatever."

I'm sitting here now, still spinning out after all the events of the evening. I'm so glad to be out of there.

Post subject: Re: My Boss & work
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:08 am 

Well done for surviving your last day! At least you can put it all behind you now. Can you afford the $135? I would probably have done the same thing under the circumstances...