Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:06 pm 

Hi there new here and been trying to read & stuff but I have a question. In the steps of twisted thinking, how do you get yourself to see things less negative? My mind just works this way, knowing no matter how hard or many times I try I know my mind is unbalanced. My doctor said its a brain chemical thing. Sometimes there is no reason I just start crying and can't stop. I've attempted suicide been hospitalized also. My mind is fixed in a negative mode, is it possible I can't change it? Please know that any help is very kind of you, thanks.

Post subject: Re: question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 am 

Hi there,

The thing that helps me challenge my negative thoughts most is to write down the factual evidence for and against them. I need to do this on paper, and not just in my head. I've described the way I do it in this thread. If you'd like to try it and need any help, just let me know, I'm happy to help. :)

Are you on any meds at the moment?

I found I needed meds to overcome my depression, but the exercise above helped me keep my head above water until we found the right meds. I had to accept that negative thoughts were a symptom of my depression (as well as a cause) and that I'd need to keep untwisting them. It's frustrating, but better than the alternative!

I think it *is* possible to change the way our minds work... it just takes a lot of time, hard work and practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 am 

Thank you, yes I'm on lots of medications some evil SSRI I think and everything had just been horrible for the past few days. Apologize for not posting earlier. My OCD seems out of my control too. With all this stuff happening how do I have a chance?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:59 pm 

I believe you have a chance. :) I know it's not easy and it can take time to figure out what will help and put new skills into practice. But as long as you keep trying, there is hope.

Evil SSRI... that sounds about right to me... I had such bad experiences with Seroxat! (Of course it's not evil for everyone, but it was a very bad med for me!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:34 pm 

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Quote:
Be present as the watcher of your mind -- of your thoughts and emotions as well as your reactions in various situations. Be at least as interested in your reactions as in the situation or person that causes you to react. Notice also how often your attention is in the past or future. Don't judge or analyze what you observe. Watch the thought, feel the emotion, observe the reaction. Don't make a personal problem out of them. You will then feel something more powerful than any of those things that you observe: the still, observing presence itself behind the content of your mind, the silent watcher.

It's helped me in the sense that while I still have negative thoughts I'm able to recognize it as just that...a thought. Doesn't make them go away but the more aware of my own thought patterns, the shorter in length the negative thoughts last, if that makes sense.