Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anxiety Relief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:43 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think I'm really getting a handle on my anxiety, in an over-all kinda way.

Meditation, running and changing my self-talk has historically been really helpful to me, but I'm finding today that while I still enjoy these things and will continue them....I don't Have to do them anymore. It's not absolutely necessary for my mental sanity.

I'm having a minor surgery this morning, I'll leave for it in 2 hours. Last week, I had a major dental procedure that normally, historically, I would have had to take a xanax or something and still freak out both during and before the doc visit. In fact, I used to have major panic attacks surrounding issues like this. What I'm discovering with this today and that last week.....I'm okay. Yes, I'm a bit apprehensive (it IS surgery, there are risks!) but the anxiety is by no means overwhelming.

I thought I would share because I feel really good and that's the purpose of this forum. My anxiety surrounding these things is actually proportionate to the risk.....I'm not freaking out like I would have in the past. I feels very rewarding, like all the work I have been doing is working. Working well.

Thanks for listening, this is a major turning point for me! :D

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

Post subject: Re: Anxiety Relief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:25 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

That's great, Harmonium!!

It sounds like with the meditation and so forth, you've been able to get yourself to a more calm, accepting state of mind, and now you have learned to recreate that feeling without going through the steps of the activity. Very cool!

A certain amount of anxiety is healthy -- especially when facing surgery, no matter how minor -- as long as it isn't paralyzing or overwhelming. So you're in a very appropriate place now. Good luck with the surgery. I had a minor operation a few months ago myself, and have had more serious ones in the past, so I know what that's all about. I hope it goes well, and you recover quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:35 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Good luck with the surgery!! I'm glad you're not overly anxious about it and that you've overcome your problems with anxiety. Yes, you should be very proud of yourself, Harmonium! :bananadance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks Sari and Wondering!! :D

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra