Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HALT today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:52 pm 

1. Hungry, yes Angry, yes, Lonely, definitely and Tired yes.
These feelings are temporary and will go away.

2. Define the problem
I'm feeling incredibly cranky. I miss Chris and I'm angry that we are not together. I want my old Chris back and I'm angry at reality because that isn't happening. I'm also worried because I was planning on driving to Denver this weekend to check out this bookstore everyone keeps talking about and I can't because of the weather. I"m worried because weekends are really hard without Chris and I'm supposed to have structured scheduled activites to distract myself so I won't get too emotional and now my big event is canceled due to the weather. Honestly, I just feel pissed off right now in general.

3. Come up with three possible solutions
1. go home and cry
2. stop by the local bookstore here in town and pick up a book to read for tonight or tomorrow.
3. Eat while watching the Sony Erickson Classic tonight on TV and go to bed early.

4. pick one
actually I could probably do all three.

5. Do it
after work I"ll go check out the local bookstore since the libraries around here just BLOW.

Well, I have a plan. I followed the five steps. And I still feel crappy and angry.

Post subject: Re: HALT today
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:35 am 

BPDpip5 wrote:
Well, I have a plan. I followed the five steps. And I still feel crappy and angry.

I know what you mean. It's hard when you use the tools and they don't work immediately....I think though that the tools are just that....tools to help you control your behavior so that your emotions don't just take over. Maybe if you just follow through with your plan you'll start to feel better......you'll start to get your mind off of your emotions and have something else to focus on......even though the emotions will still be there.
:sadshake
maybe you'll be blue all day but that too will eventually go away. i will be thinking of you today and wishing you all the best. I've been there too....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:57 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

How did the plan go? Are you feeling better now?

BRING IT ON!! -- personal mantra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Quote:

Usually I do the steps bc I'm finding it hard to move forwards, I'm stuck in some kind of depressive rut or frantic loop, and the steps give me an opportunity to sit down and think about my options. I rarely feel better having just written down my 5 steps, but tend to feel a lot better once I've actually done them, ie: after I've done step 5, not just decided to do it.

Having a plan is not completing the 5 steps. The "Do it" command is an imperative part of their therapeutic quality. So when you said you did the steps and still felt crappy, you hadn't actually completed step 5 had you? Did you feel better once you'd got stuck into your new book?