Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Breakthrough
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:21 am 

I had a coaching session yesterday and afterward my brain was just working overtime. It was even working in my dreams. This morning I remembered how often my mother would tell me that I was too sensitive. This sent me a very negative invalidating message about who I was. Basically she was saying that it was not ok for me to be sensitive. That is a load of crap! My sensitivity is a wonderful gift and for years have been internalizing and believing her lie. I no longer believe it. I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted from me. I am fine just the way that I am. I also realized that I have been using my sensitivity to try and help others instead of helping myself and shielding myself from toxic people. That is also going to stop. My sensitivity is here to serve me. I will honor my perceptions and feelings now.

Post subject: Re: Big Breakthrough
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:56 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Great insights, Renee.

I'm sensitive too -- and that basic temperament, plus invalidation from two parents who weren't particularly into being attentive to their kids, plus a genetic pre-disposition to depression and anxiety, have made my life chaos. But I am what I am. It's not going to change. What I CAN do is change how I react to the times that my sensitivity trigger goes off. I can accept and sit with my feelings without acting out on them, either against myself or anybody else. I can't control any other person's treatment of me -- I can protest, but the response to that is up to them -- but I can control myself. It might be hard at first, but it's totally doable with practice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm a sensitive person too.

Hence, my dad's words used when he scolded me, while growing up (you're useless, die also no use), had and still has a tremendous effect on me...

i realise i'm quite empthatic towards others' feelings, it's just that i never showed that or expressed that.

guess i first have to get past myself, as Sari said, to learn to change the way I react when my sensitivity is being triggered.

then learn to use it to help others....

not easy...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 am 

One effective tactic that I use when I am triggered is to walk away and go write how I feel in my journal. I have gotten a lot of insight that way.