Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New & looking for some support from like minded people :)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 pm 

Hi there,

I am a 26 y/o female living in the UK.

After many years of loosing friends/family/loved ones, jobs and houses due to my destructive behavior I was finally diagnosed in October last year.

Strangely enough, since being diagnosed I've struggled more so than when I lived in ignorance. I now have the knowledge of what I have and I know how to avoid getting myself into the situations I did previously but I still have BPD, I've not learnt to reprogram myself. To keep myself safe I've gone to drastic measures in protecting myself but the problem is that from hiding myself away all I'm doing is preventing the old scenarios- I still struggle with my emotions and as a result have very few reliable people in my life.

I had to wait 8 months on a waiting list for therapy which is all very new, I'm hoping it will shed some clarity on the madness that's been possessing me all of these years but sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping that by joining this site I can discuss my issues with like minded people and hopefully from those who have been where I once was.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

C x

Post subject: Re: New & looking for some support from like minded people :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Calification wrote:
Strangely enough, since being diagnosed I've struggled more so than when I lived in ignorance.

it's the same for me. I struggled with suicidal thoughts more after knowing of my condition than when I was living in ignorance.

Anyway, so you're waiting for therapy now is it? Eight months is a long wait. What do you plan to do in the mean time? How bout getting a few good books on bpd and reeading and working on your recovery? There's also a good online DBT site, could give you the link if you want.

welcome onboard!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:23 am 

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind welcome!

I did indeed wait for 8 months for therapy. I've been accepted on a 3/4 day a week program at a place called the Cawley Center (in the UK). They do one on one therapy, psychodrama and focus groups on getting people back to normality within a therapeutic community. I start officially on July 6th, it's two years out of my life but I'm hoping I'll be a better person for it...shamefully I've done a lot of feeling sorry for myself and staying indoors, it's hard to know where you fit in after news like that! I would to check out that DBT link you mentioned- how long have you been diagnosed and how are you feeling now?

Kind thanks for getting in contact once again :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Here's the link:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dbtclass/

I was diagnosed a year ago...
Well, I'm still experiencing a lot of intense pain and still working on things... Going to start DBT with a psychologist this coming 27th june...

The programme that you signed off for signs really nice, lucky you!