Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goal Setting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm 

It was a huge breakthrough to go through the exercise of Radical Acceptance. It helped me immensely mentally and emotionally. Now that I have done that, I need to focus on making physical changes, or DOING. I realize that despite the Radical Acceptance, I'm still stuck in the same patterns as I was during the depression. I'm lethargic and still just play Mafia Wars and sleep all the time. It's time for me to DO. It disgusts me to admit that I can count on one hand how many times I've brushed my teeth since I moved out on my own three months ago. It further disgusts me that I still only have a bath every one or two weeks and stay in my pajamas all day. I scoop the cat litter every two to three days instead of every day. I've recently been using my broken ribs as an excuse but the truth is, it was like that before I broke my ribs. It's embarrassing for me to admit all this.

Goals:

1. Brush my teeth every night.
2. Have a bath every other day.
3. Scoop the cat litter every day.

Those are my goals for now. I'll need to expand from that as I reach success with these three. Future goals include going for a walk every day. Eating better - Right now I have Mini Wheats for breakfast and lunch and Pizza Pops for dinner....Every day. No fresh fruits or vegetables. I just don't have the energy right now to make a good dinner and put half in the freezer for another day. Not only that, I need to get over the idea that there's point in cooking for one.

I do take some pride in some things. I do my dishes everyday. I'm a loving caretaker for my animals. I'm a good friend and sister to the people I love. I make time to write and call them. I look forward to being to able to take pride in more things and make progress with my goals. My current goals may seem menial but for me they're challenges. It's been really hard for me to be honest in this post as it's so embarrassing. Maybe someone can relate. Wish me luck!

"I'm loved. I can't forget that or take it for granted. I'm going to be here and be taking advantage of every resource that I can find in Brampton. I WILL heal. The pain will subside. I have a future full of possibilities. I just have to fight tooth and nail to make it there."

Post subject: Re: Goal Setting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Luna,

Please don't ever feel embarrassed.....and boy can I relate! About two years ago I went into a very debiliating depression; ate very little, just stayed in bed most of the time. The only time I went out was to get food for my cats, as that was my only motivation....take care of them. I'd eat just some soup perhaps once a day, and I was getting weaker every day. I don't think I was even posting here. Eventually, I had to ask my bf to get me food for the cats, and he'd also get me some. He got worried and called his dr( who had also been my parents' dr) My bf took me to the ER, and I was admitted; I was later transferred to a psych hospital where I got some therapy and meds. I pulled myself out of the depression, came home, and wa la! Here I am, ha,ha....better than ever.

dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:42 am 

Thanks for the reply! It's eased my mind. I brushed my teeth last night and I intend to take a bath today. I also intend to scoop the cat litter today. Having my goals written down really helps me focus and make an effort. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad you pulled out of your depression. You've been a wonderful support to me!

"I'm loved. I can't forget that or take it for granted. I'm going to be here and be taking advantage of every resource that I can find in Brampton. I WILL heal. The pain will subside. I have a future full of possibilities. I just have to fight tooth and nail to make it there."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 am 
Community Member
Community Member

(((((((((((((((Luna))))))))))

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am 

(((((((((((((((dagwood)))))))))))))))

I've just finished my bath and I feel so refreshed! It's beautiful weather here today so I turned the heat off and opened the windows to welcome the day in. My cats are loving it! It's crossed my mind to take a walk today because it's so nice but I think I best not overwhelm myself and just stick with the goals I have written for now. You're a good friend. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:47 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Luna, you're very welcome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:28 pm 

I find this is helping me with two of the Four Agreements.

Be Impeccable With Your Word and Always Do Your Best.

I've achieved my goals so far...even though it's only been a day, I feel compelled to be impeccable with word because it's written here. Making goals also helps me do my best. My best is very little right now but it's a start and I have to start somewhere or stay stuck. I feel my best will improve over time and look forward to making to making progress through goal setting. Thank goodness for this board.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:35 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Luna,

You've got the right stuff!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:08 pm 

Hey dagwood,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm very lonely, bored and depressed tonight and your post cheered me up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Hey Kiddo,

Maybe you can help me, I'm not doing well right now....I live in a condominium, and we've got some idiots on the board of directors right now....they seem to think we're in some kind of high-end neighborhood. We're not....it's very middle class with a few with money who have some grandiose ideas. The boarrd is talking about some assessments, payments over and above what we pay monthly in maintenance. Anyway, My wonderful boyfriend is the on sight manager who supervises all maintenance projects, oversees the landscaping and he has been wanting me to sell my place and move in with him and his brother(lifelong bachelor) who is wonderful as all his family are. They welcomed me into the family long ago, and they are every bit my family.....I only now have a few cousins of my own left. I also think this may mean we would get married, something I've never been, and quite honestly never thought I would be, ha,ha. How many people get married at 64....wow, I don't feel that age. It will be a major change in my life, but I'm trying to muster the strength and "courage" to move on. situations change, nothing stays the same....such is the ebb and flow of life, I guess.

I have a beautiful home....at least it is to me.....and it's all mine, and it will be very hard to give it up.

dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:28 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I'm sorry, guess I put this post in the wrong place, ha,ha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:41 pm 

I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I hate living alone. You, on the other hand don't have a problem with it. If things get too expensive at the condo, you have a reasonable offer to live with your boyfriend and his brother. Change of any kind is difficult. You have a decision to make. Pay more than you should be paying or move in with your boyfriend. I think this decision deserves time and thought. I wish I could choose answer A or answer B and have it done for you. Keep me posted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

my bf does live with me....in fact I feel a tad guilty because he has a new house, but stays with me......I really do want him to enjoy his new house, but Oh cripes, I'm in a muddle, ha,ha.

thank you so much for your post, Luna.....helps just to have some contact with others right now.

dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I feel like we're alone here on this board.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:36 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I'll be ok....I will always be ok....just going through a rough patch righ now. the end is in sight....love all of you guys

dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:25 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I don't know where everybody is....seems like this board is empty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:30 am 

I feel the same way, dagwood. The board is very slow. I'd feel very alone if wasn't for you. I was having a hard time last night, too. I was very depressed, lonely and bored. I posted my Skype name in Deep Blue hoping someone else had Skype and we could chat.

How are you today?

I'm doing a little better this morning. I got a message from a friend and replied to her about the work I'm doing here on the board. The weather is very nice and I MIGHT take a walk to abate the boredom some.

I've stayed true to my word on my goals....brushed my teeth last night, had a bath yesterday and scooped the litter. Today it's just scooping the litter and brushing my teeth. I'll have another bath tomorrow.

There's just nothing to do here, living alone. The internet, TV and sleep make for a very lonely existence. I'm glad my ribs are well enough for me to go grocery shopping this week. I'm REALLY glad that this coming Saturday is Family Dinner Night. I need people and I'm very grateful for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Luna, You are very welcome....thank you for your help.

It sounds like you're taking care of yourself and the cats. I really don't have much to do either....we've got swimming pools, but there are so many visitors now, and people just renting for the season that it's hard to avoid the crowds.
But, I do enjoy sitting on a lounge under the trees around the pool....I feel much calmer then when I get home....looking at water has always been a soothing thing for me. I've always wanted to live on the beach.

I'm so glad you have the dinner to look forward to....always helps to have somethng good to do in the near future. I used to have Skype long ago, but discontinued it....probably because I couldn't find anyone else who had it, ha,ha.

Guess we'll be going to dinner tonight which is always nice.....we have quite restaurants around, and we go out quite a bit. I'm slowing getting back into cooking, something I really do enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:42 pm 

Have a good time going out tonight! I'm glad you're getting back into cooking. It's something to do and be proud of. I'll eventually get back into cooking myself. For tonight, though, It's Pizza Pops! LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

Ha,ha, what are pizza pops? That's a new one for me....they sound kinda tasty.

dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm 

Pizza Pops are like Pizza Pockets. It's all dough on the outside and cheese and sauce in the middle. They are pretty good but I'm tired of them after three months!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 am 
Community Member
Community Member

They sound good, but yeah, ha,ha, after 3 months....too much of a good thing.

dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:33 am 

Too much of a good thing, indeed! I'm going to the grocery store today! I'm going to look for alternatives that are quick cooking. I'm looking forward to going out today.

I've kept up with my goals and am proud of my progress! Thanks for all the support!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 am 
Community Member
Community Member

You're very welcome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 am 

I've had my bath and am now waiting for Daryl to pick me up to go grocery shopping. I plan to get some fresh fruit because I haven't had anything fresh in three months! Big day. Grocery shopping! Gotta face that crowd!