Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spam Accounts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

I have spent nearly the entire weekend deleting nearly 4,000 spam posts, spam threads and spam accounts.

If your initial post was accidentally swept up in the mass deletion, I apologize; you may need to re-register.

If your account was inactive for a period of time exceeding 60 days, your account may have been deleted and this may have included your posts. If this was the case, I sincerely apologize.

I've updated the Q&A Captcha settings to ask some interesting questions that should not be Google-searchable.

I have also setup the forums to check posts against the host/script path settings.

Additionally, the system will now lookup the user’s IP address to be checked against the following DNSBL services on registration and posting: spamcop.net and http://www.spamhaus.org. This lookup may take a while, depending on the server’s configuration.

Finally, the e-mail domain provided on registration and profile changes is checked for a valid MX record.

I apologize in advance if the registration process is now more cumbersome, though I fear it had to be done for the preservation of the BPDR Forums. We simply aren't staffed to deal with hundreds of spam accounts registering every day - which is what was happening.

Post subject: Re: Spam Accounts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 pm 

I just wanted to say thank you for working so hard, and for creating this forum. My account was inactive for a long while, and I was very happy to be able to log back in now that I needed to.

Post subject: Re: Spam Accounts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:25 pm 

Wow, thank you Ash! :)