Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schizophrenia + BPD?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:18 pm 

Sorry I've been gone for so long,
Anyway, I have a question,

Recently my therapist has been telling me that she believes that I have schizophrenia, (or some other psychotic disorder) and I'm going to go in for testing next week.

Now, I'm not sure if I believe I have schizophrenia or any psychotic disorder for that matter, but if I am diagnosed with schizophrenia, does this eliminate my BPD diagnosis? I'm currently diagnosed BPD with psychotic features, but if I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia does that mean that I'm not BPD?

Post subject: Re: Schizophrenia + BPD?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 pm 

I don't know the answere to your question but I can tell you that paranoia, psychosis and dellusions must be a common feature of BDP, for me any way. From what I have read, there is in many cases another underlying metal illness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Might be best to wait to talk to your therapist about it instead of trying to speculate too much. When I was hospitalized the last time back in the 70's I was given some psychological testing which created a new diagnosis...original was bpd.... of "schizophrenia, chronic undifferiated" and also "schizo-affective illness." I guess there are many combo diagnoses available, but in the end you still feel and think the same way no matter what. IMO, it doesn't matter as much as what you are willing to do to recover.

dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 am 

When my doctor told me I had a personality disorder I told him fxck you, my personality is great! ha ha. I think sometimes doctors throw stuff out there and don't really explain what it is first. I would have rather of had some information on it first and then told that. Then I wouldn't have been offended. It's all labels anyway. I think at different times all people display some characteristics of certain disorders, depending on mood, medications, whatever. I have taken some medications that contributed to rather than helped the situation. I think initially it's shocking to get any diagnoses. I usually have to processes when I am first told something and then decide if I buy it or not. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 pm 

You can have BPD along with other diagnoses.

I have a form of schizophrenia that accompanies my BPD.