Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: strong emotions and twisted thinking
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:58 pm 

I was just thinking about and observing that when strong emotions and twisted thinking happen together, it seems to be typically that combination that causes emotional turmoil. Now, I can avoid the situation that causes the strong emotions. Problem solved. Though that doesn't help me cope with the next situation. And sometimes it's not so easy or desireable to avoid the situation.

But, having learned how to untwist my thinking, those strong emotions aren't so bad. And if a little twisted thinking happens, I know how to untwist it.

I'm kinda thinking this isn't just me... that's it's true for many folks that the twisted thinking and strong emotions combination makes for emotional or relationship trouble. I think sometimes people live with twisted thinking that doesn't get matched up with strong emotions, and they live more or less contentedly.

Oh, there's more sides that could be commented on. And I don't mind if folks add such thoughts here. But I do think that relationship is worth noting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:51 pm 

Yup...it is the "strong emotions" that seem to "own" me and the twisted thinking.

Well said MR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:52 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

great post and thoughts, MR. ty for sharing it:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:40 pm 

I should add something. I find the same strong feelings I used to have are easier to cope with when I don't have twisted thinking, or when I can quickly untwist. And that's pretty cool. Noticing that made me think about the combination.

Thanks for the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:25 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

i would not have put the two together like that. it does help me to see things better and be more observant of my own self.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Oh, I see all kinds of no-no's going on in people's thinking.... but as you said, they don't know they have any problems, because they don't have the strong emotions attached. It's something I keep seeing, and I have to stop myself from trying to change them. I'm not sure how to decipher them sometimes, because I think it would help them to share the knowledge, at the same time, someone who is happy the way they are, may not want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:39 am 

I'd like to add~

When the strong emotions engulf me (as the seem to do from time to time) that is when a good "untwisting" is needed.

That the emotions I feel, although strong and valid, are temporary. That they will dissapate. My emotions do not own me and I am more than my emotions. They may be strong, but I am stronger.

And that I DO NOT have to ACT on the emotions that I am feeling. I can just feel them, sit with them and see what brought them about. Then I can decide what to do or not.

So, yeah, I think that letting strong emotions take over because at the moment, it "feels" like they are everything and thinking that the emotions must be acted upon. Perhaps an "all or nothing", black and white kind of thinking? I think that impulsivity is a factor as well. Maybe even some poor judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:47 am 

Oh, and there might be some twisted thinking going on BEFORE the emotions like:

(BG brought this one up in another thread, and I really like it as it shed some light on an issue I have...)

I am "entitled" to have everything go my way. If service is poor and I don't get the water I'm "entitled" to, I have every right to act upon the anger I might be feeling and be rude to the person who didn't get me the water.

OR...

I feel that my way of doing things is the right and only way to do them. I cannot delegate as another won't do it like I do. So I do all the things myself. And then I get angry. (Martyr/Victim twisted thinking.) So I lash out at those around me.

Perhaps it is some core beliefs that we hold about ourselves and others that we need to take some time to look at how effective the core beleifs are. As well as the twisted thinking and the strong emotions.

If I take EVERYTHING personally, man, that causes a lot of unneccesary pain, you know?