Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They sold my gym
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:39 pm 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Those bastards!
I haven't lost my membership - it's been transferred over to Gold's Gym (the purchaser). Dammit! If I wanted to go to Gold's Gym, I'd have joined Gold's Gym! I don't want to go to some big meat market where there are hundreds of twentysomethings the size of my thigh running around in their little sports bras and shorts...I LIKED my little neighborhood gym with all the other middle-aged people...I'm tto damned old and fat and out of shape to go to some big commercial gym. I'm self-conscious enough as it is! I HATE going to the gym because I'm so old and fat. This is a disaster!

OK...It's late and I know I'm tired right now, but I had to get it out. I'll be back tomorrow to fill it in and start untwisting. Any time my panties are this ruffled, I can tell that part of the problem is ME.

Post subject: Re: They sold my gym
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:19 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Wow! I can't believe it. No wonder I've been getting all these flyers from Gold's Gym! I'm sorry Minx. It must be disconcerting to be so comfortable in one place and learn it's changing hands. Has the change-over happened yet? Have you gone over there to see what it's like? Maybe it won't be as you think. I would imagine a lot of people who went to your gym will switch over so maybe it won't be as different as you think it might.

I've been to gyms before. I find that there are people of all sizes there. When I used to go to the JCC, I always wore a baggy T-shirt and shorts, and no one ever noticed me. I'm not skinny but it never was an issue. Most people are too concerned with their own workouts to think about what other people look like. And you're all there for the same thing - to get in shape. I would urge you to try to be less self-conscious. I know it's easy to say, but I've been there so I know what it's like. I'm not happy with my body either. But the fact that you're there shows you want to make a change. Just put a baggy t-shirt on and nobody'll notice!

Check out the new gym before you make a decision. You might be surprised. I hope so!

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:37 am 
Community Member
Community Member

I work out at the Y, where there are people of all ages (including seniors), men and women, not everyone lean. That's my experience going to a gym / fitness center. Nothing intimidating.

Then one time I walked by a Gold's Gym and was able to look down into it from above (it was like in this mini-mall sort of thing.) All buff men. (Just two or three people, though.) I was like, okay, now I see why some folks find these places intimidating.

Of course, that was one Gold's Gym at one moment. I do agree, that especially with everyone's memberships getting transferred, you may find a very different experience from that. Especially if the same location is staying open, just with different ownership.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:10 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

They closed the old location so I have to go to the Golds Gym down the road a couple of miles.

OK. This is more about me being a fat girl than it is anything else...And PLEASE, nobody take my comments here personally. They don't apply to ANYONE but me. This is a train of thought exercise as much as anything for me, and not all my trains are kind or pleasant. My comments are NOT intended to reflect on anyone else. My body issues are my problem, and what I see as unacceptable to me is usually just fine for everyone else I know.

I don't change clothes when I go to the gym. I don't want to go anywhere near the locker rooms. That may sound gross, but all I'm doing at this point is walking on the treadmill. I don't need special clothes for that and I SURE don't have to get naked with a bunch of strange women. I'm usually going home straight after anyways. I can shower there just fine. But that rules out any baggy Tshirts. Those don't hide my fat - just cover the lumps. Baggy Tshirt is what the fat girls wear when they go to the gym.

Some people tell me I'm not fat. That's a load of bull. I'm almost 5'-3" and I weight 169 pounds. On the medical charts I'm DEFINITELY overweight, creeping up on obese. My only blessing is that I wear it well (so far). But I'm still carrying close to 50 extra pounds, and 30 minutes at three miles an hour makes me sweat.

I don't really care about the guys. Guys don't bother me all that much. It's the girls. All the freaking girls in their size 2 spandex, barely breaking a sweat. They tell me there's a "women's only" area, but that does NOT make me feel any better. I hated gym class in school and I hate it now. I'm always the slow one, the clumsy one, the one who's out of shape and can't catch her breath while all the "pretty girls" laugh. Gyms even SMELL like gym class...

On top of the old memories and the new reality, I have in between the hardest cut of all. While I was dancing I was in INCREDIBLE shape. And I didn't need a gym to do it! I was cut, i was buff, I had lots of long, lean muscle and I could run around at top speed for half an hour or more.
I also remember that one of the clubs I worked for had a "deal" with Gold's Gym. All the dancers got free memberships so that they'd have lots of pretty girls at the gym. WHY would I want to go somewhere like that?

Just leave me alone. Leave me alone so I can walk on the damned treadmill and maybe work the weights. But NO...they've got to sell out to the big commercial meat market. Have I been there yet? NO. Why should I? Waste of my f&%#ing time and money.

Well, that felt better. I really need to start untwisting this stuff, don't I?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:30 am 
Community Leader
Community Leader

The solution is to install a pole in your living room! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:52 am 
Senior Community Leader
Senior Community Leader

Too bad I'm renting... :-P
But i don't have enough room in my front room anyways! What's yours look like?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 am 

All the middle-aged people from your old gym are going to be forced to go to Gold's right along with you, aren't they? I'm just wondering if maybe not every woman at Gold's is going to be a starlet.

However it's true that it's difficult to go to a gym and not be surrounded by fit people.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 pm 

Ex dancer mentality Minx, I hear ya! Oh for the days when eh? Are there any options you haven't explored if you don't want to use that gym?

Tracy formerly known as bogit

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:44 pm 
Community Member
Community Member

I can understand. I didn't feel right at Gold's. It wasn't just about getting fit or being healthy, it was about the way you looked. I prefer to go to gyms where it's about health and fitness, with a lot less emphasis on looks.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow. -- Robert H. Goddard

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:53 am 

I have been overweight since I was about 10. Lost a lot of weight at 18 and gained it back and more in my late 2os. Always hated my looks, could not wear mini skirts or hot pants (in the 70s). Hate going to the beach and am extremely upset when I see all those lean, muscular women with their disgustingly well shaped, long legs!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not want to hear about inner beauty, does not help at all. I hate the american gyms with their skinny little work out females in their pretty, well fitting exercise outfits. My old city sponsored sports club in Germany with people like you and I, taking fun classes for little money-oh those lovely days, long gone. Can you fit a bike in your apartment? It is fun, you do not have to look at anyone else and it burns calories, let me tell you. I tried belly dancing, you have to have some handles somewhere, otherwise you look wrong. It puts you in touch with your body and it it great fun. Just some ideas to find an alternative to the so-called work-out spots where people go to be seen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like it may have some to do with comparing the old dancer Minx to the new mature and more mentally healthy, but heavier Minx. And some to do with hating everyone else in gym class in high school, and some to do with actually not liking the new place. Can't remember where you live, but is it possible to walk at a park instead of on a treadmill? (Looking forward to seeing your untwisting work.)