Home  •  FAQ  •   Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doing A Lot Better
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:13 pm 

I registered here back in June and only posted once. I had just been diagnosed in May and I was in a very bad spot emotionally. Since then, I would like to think I have made some good progress with learning DBT skills. I made most of my changes in August/September. Last wk I had a little emotional setback but I am refocused and ready to try again.

My goal is to recover by the latest May 2009. I want to learn skills to apply in my life so I don't suffer from most of my BPD symptoms so I no longer fit the criteria for BPD.

Those are big goals and it's going to take a lot of hard work, I know. I am going to try though.

Thanks for reading. =)

Post subject: Re: Doing A Lot Better
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:11 am 
Community Member
Community Member

We're glad you're back and that you're doing better. I also have been learning DBT skills and they really do help a lot. I think it's wonderful that you have set goals for yourself. But I would urge you to not put a set date on your recovery. It took us many years to get this way, and it does take time to recover. If you set a firm date for recovery, you might be disappointed when the date actually arrives. So keep using the skills and celebrate every day that you are doing better!

......I'm gonna look at you till my eyes go blind..... (Bob Dylan)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:36 am 
Community Member
Community Member

Recovery is a life long thing, because it doesn't stop when you stop having BPD.

After learning about BPD and realizing I probably had it, I fairly quickly got to a point of significant change (just the self understanding I gained helped a lot, as well as learning some skills that were for me easy to learn, but that I'd just never been taught) and where I didn't fit the diagnostic criteria anymore. But, still, after that there's still been lots of growing to do. I'm still not at the end of the journey.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:07 pm 

I don't want to set myself up for disappointment but most people get through the DBT therapy in a year so I want to make it, at the latest a year... but I am aiming for shorter.

I know recovery is a life long thing but I simply don't want to fall under the criteria for BPD. I know I would still need to work actively on skills. It is just a goal to not be diagnosed with it.

Things are continuing to go great. Making a lot of improvement =)